How to move programs and files from an old XP PC to a Windows 10 computer
For Windows XP users, transfer to a new Windows 10 computer is not easy, especially since there is no built-in way to transfer programs, settings and files from the old PC to the new one. This is even more important because Windows 10 no longer includes any "Easy Transfer" functionality.
In this guide, we will see how to use Zinstall to easily transfer from an old XP computer to a another Windows 10 computer. The transfer will cover:
- Files, such documents, pictures, music, pictures and emails
- Settings, such as user profiles, emails, accounts, passwords, favorites, bookmarks, wallpaper and other personalization
- Programs, such as transferring Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, TurboTax, Firefox, Chrome, and other programs to the new computer
Note: this guide relates to a transfer from one computer to another computer running Windows 10. If you are upgrading to Windows 10 in-place, on the same physical computer, please see the appropriate guide.
How to transfer programs and files from XP to a new Windows 10 PC
- Run Zinstall WinWin on your old XP computer (the one you are transferring from).
Note: You can download WinWin here, and its user guide here.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the new Windows 10 computer
- You don't need to do any configurations for the computers to connect - it's automatic
- If the computers are already connect to same router, same Internet connection, or same wireless connection, you don't need anything else
- If the computers are not connected at all, connect them with a network / Ethernet cable
- If you'd like to select which applications and files you want to transfer, press the Advanced menu. If you just want to transfer everything, you don't need to go to the Advanced menu.
- Press "Go" on the Windows 10 computer to start the transfer