How to migrate user profiles to a new domain
(programs, too!) - Windows 10, 8 or 7
In this article, we'll see how to automatically copy and migrate user profiles from old domain to new domain (or a local user to a domain user). In addition to profiles and data, you will also be able to copy applications and their settings, should you decide to transfer those as well.
When changing to a new domain, the old domain user profiles will not be accessible automatically. Then will have to be re-created for each user. Of course, populating that profile with user settings and user data is a process that should be automated as much as possible - and this is what we will see here.
The product we will use is Zinstall Migration Kit Pro. It can do all kinds of migration tasks, and profile migration happens to be one of them. The transfer includes all of user data and personalization. Plus, it can even transfer user install applications, if needed. This process works for Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, 7, Vista and XP (yes, you can transfer profiles from an XP domain to a Windows 10 domain!)
This process does not disrupt the profile SIDs, and transfers settings in a way that is identical to a human operator manually transferring data and reconfiguring settings. This part ensures that the new domain is not "trashed" with remnants of the old one.
Here is how the process works:
How to transfer user profiles from old computer to new domain
- Log in as the original, old domain user (OLD-DOMAIN\USER) on the source machine
- Log in as the replacement, new domain user (NEW-DOMAIN\USER) on the target machine
- Run Zinstall Migration Kit Pro on both machines
Note: You can download the Kit here, and its user guide here.
- You can do the transfer either directly between the machines (over the network), or first capture the source into a container, store it on a network share, and then deploy on the target. This last option works even if the machines are not in the same physical location, or if you are doing an in-place switch on the same physical machine.
- If you do NOT want to transfer programs, and are only interested in a profile transfer, switch the radio button on the main screen to "profile and settings only" mode
- If you'd like to select exactly what you want to transfer, press the Advanced menu. If you just want to transfer everything, you don't need to go to the Advanced menu.
- Press "Go" on the new computer to start the transfer
- The transfer will take a while (depending on how much data you have to transfer), and report to you when done.
Note that you can also use the Kit in a command-line mode, which is useful in SCCM and other management tools integration.
That's it! The profile contents are transferred to the new domain's user profile - and the migration is complete.
Ready to transfer your users to a new domain? Get Zinstall Migration Kit Pro here (or contact us for volume discounts).