How to restore from Acronis backup to a new computer with Windows 10 - and keep your programs and files
Got a backup created using Acronis True Image (or any other Acronis product), and need to restore it to a new computer? In this article, we'll learn how to restore not just your files, but also your programs, profiles, settings, emails, accounts and all the rest - from the Acronis image backup to a different computer.
Let's see how!
Mounting the Acronis backup to access its files and contents
The first step to recovery is performing what's called a "mount" of the Acronis backup file on the new computer. This operation allows to gain access to the backup's contents, and thus to perform a restore. Here is how to do it.
- Make sure Acronis is installed on the computer. If it isn't, you can download it from Acronis.com (if you don't have your license number, you can just download Acronis free trial here - you will only need it for this restore).
- Once Acronis is installed, locate your backup. It will be a large file with a .tib extension.
- Right-click on the .tib file, and in the menu that opens, find Acronis and then Mount. Click on Mount, and this will open the Acronis Mount Wizard.
(If you don't see the Mount option in the right-click menu, you can just open the Mount wizard from Acronis entry under Start Menu)
- In the Wizard, click Proceed.
- After a brief waiting time, your backup will be mounted as a virtual drive.
At this point, you can already locate your old drives in Windows files and folders, and even copy some of your files to your new computer. Of course, manual copy of files is not what we are after - let's see how to do a complete restore, including programs and settings, and to do it automatically.
Recovering your files, settings, profile and programs from Acronis backup
Now that we have our backup accessible on the new computer, we'll use Zinstall Migration Kit Pro to recover programs, settings files, emails, personalization, settings, documents and all the rest. The process is automatic and you won't have to hunt everything down manually. Here is how to do it:
- On the new computer, run Zinstall Migration Kit Pro (you can download it here)
- Choose the "Moving from another hard drive" scenario (the "hard drive here" is our mounted Acronis backup)
- The Kit will automatically detect the mounted backup. Confirm the selection, and press Next.
- If you want to only recover some of the programs, or some of the files, use the Advanced menu to select which ones you want. If you want to just recover everything, simply click Next to continue.
- You will be presented with a quick summary of what's about to be recovery - press "Go" to start the process.
That's it - once the recovery process is complete, you'll have your programs and files copied from Acronis True Image backup to your new computer!
Video - recovering programs, settings and files to a new computer
(you will be transferring from a backup, not from a live computer - but the process is quite similar)